First Good News – Sunday 17th May 2020
‘I shall always have hope; I will praise your name more and more…’ Psalm 71:14
Hello again and welcome to the latest edition of ‘First Good News’. Thanks again for all your emails and photos – keep them coming! Did you try last week’s quiz? It was quite tricky. Answers on the last page. So, here’s a selection of all you’ve been up to:
- Jigsaws are still popular. Some just started and some complete.
- Run out of books to read? Some have been involved in a book swap over the fence…..And I hear someone who lives near the shore front is knitting blankets for Romania…
- There is of course the ever-popular gardening:
- You’ve been making a fairy garden, out clapping every Thursday evening, having picnics in this lovely weather, and planting beautiful lilies.
- And some new entries this week – sorting footballers, Subbuteo teams and model cars….
- And sorting golf pencils….(This was not me!)
Some VE Day memories:
Elizabeth Stuart remembers it was the day she was discharged from the Fever Hospital following a diagnosis (incorrect as it turned out) of Scarlet Fever. She remembers Belfast and the joyous crowds and also seeing the King and Queen and Generals Montgomery and Eisenhower some week’s later.
Anne Johnson has memories of Bangor and people dancing in the street and the sky being clear following the taking down of the barrage balloons. She also remembers the treat of being bought a ‘Melancholy Baby’ at the very expensive price of two shillings and six pence – wonderful layers of red, green and yellow jelly, tinned fruit, ice-cream, whipped cream, crisp wafers and cherry on the top! “We savoured every mouthful!”
And those quiz answers: BIBLE QUIZ
- 66BITB. 66 books in the Bible
- 6DOC – 6 DAYS OF CREATION
- JFT5000 – JESUS FED THE 5000
- 10PIE– 10 PLAQUES IN EGYPT
- PDJ3T – PETER DENIED JESUS 3 TIMES
- 70YEIB – 70 YEARS EXILE IN BABYLON
- T12DOJ – THE 12 DISCIPLES OF JESUS
- 40 YITW – 40 YEARS IN THE WILDERNESS
- JWITF3DA3N – JONAH WAS IN THE FISH 3 DAYS AND 3 NIGHTS
- JW40DITW – JESUS WAS 40 DAYS IN THE WILDERNESS
- T4HOTA – THE 4 HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE
- 9BIM5 – 9 BEATITIUDES IN MATTHEW 5
- 27BITNT – 27 BOOKS IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
- 5LA2FF5000 – 5 LOAVES AND 2 FISH FED THE 5000
- JSL14YFR – JACOB SERVED LABAN 14 YEARS FOR RACHEL
- TPOT10V – THE PARABLE OF THE 10 VIRGINS
- JTWI6SJIW – JESUS TURNED WATER IN 6 STONE JARS INTO WINE
- 39BIOT – 39 BOOKS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
- PR39L5T – PAUL RECEIVED 39 LASHES 5 TIMES
- 7LTT7C – 7 LETTERS TO THE 7 CHURCHES
- O 1 OT 10 LRTTJ. – ONLY 1 OF THE 10 LEPERS RETURNED TO THANK JESUS
- 14GFATD, 14GFDTTE,14GFTETC – 14 GENERATIONS FROM ADAM TO DAVID/ DAVID TO THE EXILE/THE EXILE TO CHRIST
Of course, variations and alternative answers are possible. If you got all those reward yourself with a large cup of coffee and piece of cake – you deserve it!
‘The LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly’. Proverbs 2:6